Strawberry Cake is a light, yet satisfying summer dessert, with layers of fresh strawberries and delicious cream. It is also totally guilt free and nutritious.
The strawberry season is here and so are strawberry desserts. Not that I cannot make strawberry desserts besides this season, but the strawberries now are much sweeter. However, we did not go strawberry picking yet and I bough these in the supermarket. Just recently I made a RAW FRENCH TART that is also with strawberies and you can find more recipes on my DESSERTS page.
I most likely will be making another dessert after we go pick our own, which will be very soon. We love visiting local farms every season with my daughters and my grandsons to pick fruits and also pumpkins. It is lots of fun and we all love it, especially the boys.
Anyway, this cake is another one of my guilt free, yet delicious desserts, but it is quite high. Therefore, try to cut it thinner, which it is not that easy. The cake tastes the best while not very cold, but that makes the slicing part little bit messy. Just make sure you have a Pie Server & Cake Knife. That will make a big difference, especially if you have a guests over.
What I also like, is to have an extra strawberry compote (cooked strawberries with maple syrup) to add on each slice while serving. And if you have some leftover cream, then that is even better. The only thing I would like to change about this cake is the brown color that comes from the raw coconut sugar. Well, the only way to do that would be by substituting coconut sugar by Xylitol or Erythritol because they are white. Also, they are considerably healthy sugar substitutes and you can read more about them if you follow these links Xylitol ,Erythritol
I will definitely try making this batter substituting raw coconut sugar with Xylitol and will see how it turns out. I have used Xylitol many times in the past and I liked it, but my older daughter doesn’t. Therefore I went back using raw coconut sugar, however it is not always suitable. Oh well, I will continue experimenting and it is up to you which sweeter works out the best for you. I am on the mission of making healthier desserts and I will not give up, regardless of the challenges.
Thank you for visiting and please let me know what are your thoughts. I would love to hear form you and I wish you a wonderful week.
- 3x 6inch diam cake pans, blender, electric whisk or stand mixer, spatula, cake decorating circle, piping bag, parchment paper
- 1 ½ cup plain almond milk
- ¾ cups of maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cups vegan butter I use Earth Balance
- 1 ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cups of apple sauce
- 1 ½ cup of almond flour
- 2 ¼ cup gluten free mix I use Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- STRAWBERRY CREAM
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup of strawberries frozen or fresh
- 1 ½ cup of cashews soaked for 6 hours and rinsed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tbsp pitaya powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup caned fat coconut cream
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries to decorate
- Blend plant-based milk with apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, vanilla extract and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F, 175C and have your silicone donut molds ready.
- In a large bowl, blend butter with coconut sugar and whisk with electric blender until the mixture turns into a foam.
- Add apple sauce and whisk little longer.
- Slowly mix in almond flour and whisk again.
- Gradually start adding gluten free mix and milk and whisk well.
- When ready, line your cake pans with parchment paper and divide the bather between the three.
- Bake for 25 to 3o min or until the toothpick comes clean.
- When ready, let them cool down for 10 minutes before removing from the mold.
- Carefully flip over and slide the cake from the pan on your working surface. Flip back up and place on cooling rack. Let it completely cool for at least 2 hours before applying the cream.
- STRAWBERRY CREAM
- In a small pot, bring maple syrup with strawberries into a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover with lid, and let it simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Blend all the ingredients in the blender except the coconut cream.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix well with coconut cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place to a refrigerator for two hours.
- In the meantime, wash slice few fresh strawberries.
- Wen ready, apply cream on the middle of the first layer and place strawberry slices on top in a circle pattern. Apply more cream with a piping bag around the edges and place the second layer on top, then repeat.
- Pierce the layers with two skewers about 3 inches apart to help prevent sliding when you are applying the top cream. You may also place the cake into refrigerator for two hours for the cream to thickens again.
- At last, apply the cream with spatula on the top of the cake first, then continue all around.
- Decorate with strawberries and flowers of your choice if your like.