Sweet and Sour Borscht with Red Beets, Veggies, Kidney Beans & Dill, is a flavorful vegan version of the traditional one. It is one of the easiest way to make, delicious, hearty and nutritious meal, at any time of year.
Borsht is one of my favorite soups and I like to make it often. I also took photos few before, but I was never hundred percent happy with them. Finally, at this time I can say they turned well, although there is always room for improvement.
Nevertheless, what is the most important about this Sweet and Sour Borscht is the tangy flavour and also the nutritional value. Not to mention, low cost ingredients, although, raw cashews are not exactly cheep. That goes for the vegan sour cream, if you decide to make your own. However, the fact that the rest of the ingredients are so inexpensive will balance that out. Wouldn’t you think?
Also, the flavour is worth it, especially mixed with the soup. Believe me, it is a pure delight! What is also great about Borsht, is that it can be eaten hot or cold. It can warm your belly during cold winter months or it can be a refreshing yet filling during the summer.
The other thing I would like to mention is that there is no need for sugar or sweetener to be added. For some reason, the veggies are sweet enough and all you need is to add apple cider vinegar to give it a little punch. I don’t know about you, but I love sweet and sour flavor, so I guess, this is one of the reasons why I love it so much. If you like Eastern European flavors, you may like to check my CREAMY YELLOW BEAN recipe. Slightly sour and with dill as well.
Before I go, I just wanna make sure I leave you some information about the nutritional value of the main ingredients. Just follow the link Beetroot, Parsnip, Carrots, Kidney Beans and Dill. Thank you for visiting and if you have any questions or suggestions, contact me any time.
SWEET AND SOUR BORSCHT
- Food processor
- 2 cups kidney Beans soaked overnight in two cups of water
- 3 red beets shredded
- 3 carrots shredded
- 3 parsnip pealed & shredded
- ¼ Red cabbage shredded
- 2 shallot 0nions cut into 4 quarters
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- Grind peppercorns to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups organic veggie broth
- 1 cup of water
- Apple Cider vinegar to taste
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- 1 tbsp grape seed or oil or oil of your choice
- Fresh dill ½ cup stems removed
- Cashew sour cream or store bought vegan sour cream
- VEGAN SOUR CREAM RECIPE
- 1 cup Cashews soaked for six hours and rinsed
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp
- 1/2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup Water ¼ cup
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Blend all in a blender until smooth.
- Rinse the beans, add veggie broth, bay leaf, and bring into boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover with lid and let it simmer for 1 hour.
- When ready, bring it back into boil, add all the shredded veggies, onion and cup of water with salt. You may add more water later if needed.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for one more hour.
- In the meantime, sauté garlic and add to the soup.
- Add also apple cider vinegar and stir thoroughly.
- Take it off the heat and add the dill. It can be cut with sizers or just pulled out with your fingers.
- Serve topped with vegan sour cream.