Stuffed Acorn Squash with Buckwheat, Cranberries, Apples and Pecans, Drizzled with Creamy Dressing. The mixture of tangy flavours in this recipe will pleasantly surprise you and everyone who will have a bite. Just make sure you make enough because your guests will be asking for more.
Altough I am busy baking cookies, I had to make sure I have a new savory recipe as well. Therefore I made this delicious Stuffed Acorn Squash with buckwheat and other goodies. I only made one squash to test the recipe, however, since it turned out delicious, I will be making more.
If you remember my previous recipe, the HOLIDAY STUFFED PEPPERS, you may know that I was using toasted buckwheat groats, which is also called kasha. However, at this time I diced to try raw buckwheat groats to see the difference. Well, it turned out that I like them both and they are equally tasty, yet different.
To find out more about this superfood, you can read about it HERE and yes, based on this article on Oprah.com, buckwheat is considered a superfood. I was quite surprised myself about discovering this information on her network, so I decided to share it with you.
Isn’t it exciting eating such a yummy food and knowing how good is for you at the same time? I must admit, this is one of the reasons why I decided to become vegan recipe creator. There is lots of vegan recipes out there but if you ask “are vegan recipes healthy?” Well the answer is not that simple.
Nevertheless, if you are having questions about vegan/plant based diet, please feel free to message me. In the meantime, have a wonderful Holidays and thank you for visiting!
STUFFED ACORN SQUASH
- High rimmed baking sheet, sharp knife.
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 cups of water
- 2 shallot onions diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp Bragg liquid aminos
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- ¼ cup grape seed oil or oil of your choice
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- ¼ cup whole cranberries fresh or frozen
- ½ apple sliced
- Fresh thyme to taste or dry
- CREAMY DRESSING
- ½ cup of Vegan Mayo or Vegenaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Blend all in a bowl until smooth
- Cook 1 cup of buckwheat in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes.
- When ready, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425F, 220C
- Wash and cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Brush lightly with oil, apply salt with garlic power and place on the baking sheet the cut side down. Add ¼ cup of water and bake for 30min. When ready, turn the squash cut side up and set on broil for 5min.
- In the meantime, sauté shallots with garlic until translucent and add the spies. Stir for few seconds and add the cooked buckwheat.
- Stir well, add the aminos and stir well again. Sauté the buckwheat for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat, add the cranberries, and stir again. If the cranberries are frozen, wait few minutes before you add apple slices. Otherwise you can add them right away.
- You may leave the mixture on the stove but reduce the heat on very low. Add the thyme, ideally fresh, but dry is fine too. Adjust the taste and stir well.
- Remove squash from the oven and fill each half with the spoon.
- Serve with creamy dressing.
RELATED RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
I love how you cooked the squash here Lena.
I am so happy you like it! Thank you so much 💚😍💚