Introducing delectable Spelt Linzer Cookies with luscious Strawberry Homemade Chia Jam! Experience the guilt-free indulgence of this wholesome rendition, a healthier twist on the classic treat without compromising on flavor.
Did you know the story of Linzer Cookies? Personally, I just found out and it is quite interesting. Therefore, if you would like to read about it I have the ARTICLE for you. All I am going to tell you is that originally it was a tart recipe that goes back to 1653. It belonged to Countess Anna Margarita Sagramosa in Austria, however, I am not going any further about it. You can look into it if you like by clicking on the link above.
Well, these beauties are from last year, nevertheless, I will be making more next week. However, they will be a little bit different. I am just quickly rewriting this recipe since it wasn’t on this blog, yet. It was on a different platform, but I already mentioned that in my previous recipe the CHRISTMAS BUNDT CAKE. Most importantly, if you are wondering whether the taste and texture can be good while using WHOLE GRAIN SPELT the answer is yes! And trust me, it is well worth to your health to switch from white four to whole grains, even for pastries. I am working very hard on creating recipes with whole grain and gluten-free flour because white flour is one of the causes of obesity and diabetes.
Now is the time of the Holiday season and we should enjoy ourselves without feeling guilty. Obviously, we should never overeat anything except salad, yet, having a piece of healthy dessert instead of traditional, makes a huge difference. It all comes down to changing our lifestyle from counting calories to just eating healthy vegan.
What is your favorite Christmas Cookie recipe? And what do you think about making traditional desserts vegan/ wholefood plant-based and healthy? I would love to find out what you think, so please let me know. Thank you for visiting and have a happy HOLIDAYS.
SPELT LINZER COOKIES
- Food processor
- baking sheet
- parchment paper,
- Rolling Pin
- cookie cutters
- 1 ½ cup whole grain spelt flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup vegan butter cooled I use Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 egg replacement you can use flax meal 1tbsp mixed with 3tbsp water
- 3 tbsp Ice cold water
- STRAWBERRY CHIA JAM
- 1 cup strawberries fresh or frozen, sliced
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Chia
- You may double the amount if you are making larger number of cookies.
- Prepare your egg replacement in a small dish and set aside.
- Place all the ingredients except water and egg replacement into a food processor and start pressing the pulse button.
- Continue full speed until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg replacement and blend again then add 1 tbsp ice cold water and blend again. Keep adding water and continue blending, until the dough does form a ball. Be careful, do not add too much water.
- Remove the dough and shape nice ball.
- Wrap it in a plastic and place it in a refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When ready, line your baking sheet with parchment paper and line your working surface with parchment paper as well.
- You may divide the dough into two halves, it is easier to work with it that way.
- Apply some white flour on the surface (I use rice flour) to prevent from sticking.
- Start rolling and soon as you make the dough flat, apply another sheet of parchment paper on top and keep rolling until you get circle about 6” diam.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Gently insert your cookie cutter on the edge of the dough, remove the rough edge and slide spatula underneath the cookie. Pull out gently, remove the cookie cutter and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until you have it all done. Make sure you count how many you have of each shape to make pairs.
- Bake for 8 t0 10min.
- When ready, carefully transfer to a cookie rack and let it cool down for 15min.
- Apply jam in the centre of each cookie and combine.
- If you have lots of edge leftovers, combine them with plastic wrap by pressing them into a ball and repeat the process. Some cookie cutters like the starts I was using are not possible to cut out without leaving big space. But if you cut out for example circles, you will not have such an issue.
- Before serving you may dust your cookies with Swerve sweetener or regular icing sugar. The choice is yours.
- STRAWBERRY CHIA JAM
- In a small pot, bring the maple syrup to a boil.
- Add strawberries and stir well.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool down for 5 min.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, add chia seeds and mix thoroughly.
- Cover with lid and place into a refrigerator overnight.