High Protein Pizza with Pesto & Tempeh Bacon Bits
There is nothing like making your own pizza!!! Especially if full of healthy and highly nutritious ingredients like this one. I personally like to make always two and put the other half baked dough in the freezer. Last time I am made HEALTHY SPELT PIZZA which is equally delicious and healthy.
The toppings are really up to you and even I do add vegan Daiya Cheese sometimes. I mean who can resist, lol. If you have not try it yet, then I highly recommend. However. you must be wondering why is this pizza high in protein, unless you already read the recipe.
And even if you did and you know I am using High Protein Flour by Anita’s Organic Mill, you may not be still quite sure anyway. Well you can always go on Amazon and check, but I tell you that this flour is a very special mix of organic sprouted green lentil, navy bean, millet, barley, spelt and wheat as well. I absolutely love this mix and I used it also in my previous recipe the BLUE PANCAKES.
So far so good! This flour is actually my younger daughter’s discovery! I am going to be using it in my future recipes again for sure. But before I go, I must mention the tempeh bacon bits that gives this pizza just the right kick, lol. If you are not familiar with tempeh, you may read about it HERE. I am personally using Henry’s Tempeh which is available in most supermarkets here in Canada, however, if you live elsewhere, then you may have to do a little research.
Well, I guess that is all in a nut shell, however, if you have any questions or suggestion please feel free to contact me. Thank you for visiting and have a wonderful week.
HIGH PROTEIN PIZZA
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 cups sprouted high protein flour (I m using Anita’s Organic Mill)
- 2 1/4 tsp Active dry yeast
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 cup of warm water
- 3 tbsp oil olive oil or oil of your choice
- FOR THE PESTO
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Black pepper to taste
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Blend al in the blender.
- FOR THE BACON BITS
- 125 gr tempeh grind 1/2 of package if you are using Henry’s
- 2 tsp low sodium tamari
- ½ tsp smoke liquid
- Garlick powder taste
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- On the hot oil sauté the grind tempeh with all the ingredients until golden brown.
- FOR THE TOPPINGS
- Colorful cherry tomatoes & red onion or toppings of your choice.
- Fresh basil leaves
- In the bowl, mix 1tsp of flour with water and sprinkle with yeast. Let it activate for 10 minutes.
- When ready, add oil with salt and mix.
- Gradually keep adding half a cup of flour at the time while mixing, whether by hand or stand mixer until you get shape a ball. If it is too sticky, you may add little bit more flour.
- Kneed for 5 minutes and form a ball.
- Transfer to a greased large bowl, cover with towel and place it to a warm place for the dough to rise double size.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 450F (230C).
- Place the dough on your floured work surface and kneel for 5 minutes until it becomes firm.
- You can stretch the dough gradually with your fingers like I did, or you can roll it out with a rolling pin into 12inch diam circle, or rectangle.
- Transfer onto a pizza pan or baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly brush with oil and pierce with fork few times to prevent bubbling.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes.
- When ready, apply pesto and your favorite toppings and bake for 15minutes longer.
- Apply the bacon bits after is ready.
RELATED RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE