High Protein Pizza with Pesto & Tempeh Bacon Bits is a must try recipe! It is so flavorful and satisfying that makes it worth while making it from scratch.
There is nothing like making your own pizza!!! Especially if full of healthy and highly nutritious ingredients like this one. I personally like to make always two and put the other half baked dough in the freezer. Last time I am made HEALTHY SPELT PIZZA which is equally delicious and healthy.
The toppings are really up to you and even I do add vegan Daiya Cheese sometimes. I mean who can resist, lol. If you have not try it yet, then I highly recommend. However. you must be wondering why is this pizza high in protein, unless you already read the recipe.
And even if you did and you know I am using High Protein Flour by Anita’s Organic Mill, you may not be still quite sure anyway. Well you can always go on Amazon and check, but I tell you that this flour is a very special mix of organic sprouted green lentil, navy bean, millet, barley, spelt and wheat as well. I absolutely love this mix and I used it also in my previous recipe the BLUE PANCAKES.
So far so good! This flour is actually my younger daughter’s discovery! I am going to be using it in my future recipes again for sure. But before I go, I must mention the tempeh bacon bits that gives this pizza just the right kick, lol. If you are not familiar with tempeh, you may read about it HERE. I am personally using Henry’s Tempeh which is available in most supermarkets here in Canada, however, if you live elsewhere, then you may have to do a little research.
Well, I guess that is all in a nut shell, however, if you have any questions or suggestion please feel free to contact me. Thank you for visiting and have a wonderful week.
HIGH PROTEIN PIZZA
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 cups sprouted high protein flour (I m using Anita’s Organic Mill)
- 2 1/4 tsp Active dry yeast
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 cup of warm water
- 3 tbsp oil olive oil or oil of your choice
- FOR THE PESTO
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Black pepper to taste
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Blend al in the blender.
- FOR THE BACON BITS
- 125 gr tempeh grind 1/2 of package if you are using Henry’s
- 2 tsp low sodium tamari
- ½ tsp smoke liquid
- Garlick powder taste
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- On the hot oil sauté the grind tempeh with all the ingredients until golden brown.
- FOR THE TOPPINGS
- Colorful cherry tomatoes & red onion or toppings of your choice.
- Fresh basil leaves
- In the bowl, mix 1tsp of flour with water and sprinkle with yeast. Let it activate for 10 minutes.
- When ready, add oil with salt and mix.
- Gradually keep adding half a cup of flour at the time while mixing, whether by hand or stand mixer until you get shape a ball. If it is too sticky, you may add little bit more flour.
- Kneed for 5 minutes and form a ball.
- Transfer to a greased large bowl, cover with towel and place it to a warm place for the dough to rise double size.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 450F (230C).
- Place the dough on your floured work surface and kneel for 5 minutes until it becomes firm.
- You can stretch the dough gradually with your fingers like I did, or you can roll it out with a rolling pin into 12inch diam circle, or rectangle.
- Transfer onto a pizza pan or baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly brush with oil and pierce with fork few times to prevent bubbling.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes.
- When ready, apply pesto and your favorite toppings and bake for 15minutes longer.
- Apply the bacon bits after is ready.