Pulled Jackfruit with Homemade BBQ Sauce
This is not the fist time I made jackfruit, but this time I got it perfect! Not that it didn’t taste good before. For example JACKFRUIT FAJITAS were really delicious! However, I was struggling little with the process, especially while trying to get the texture right. Well, it turned out that what works for me the best is the Pastry Cutter.
You may wonder what the heck I am talking about, but honestly, it does the magic. I use it even for scramble tofu. Although, I don’t think I ever used it for pastry, lol. Anyway, I highly recommend you to try while making this Pulled Jackfruit and you will understand what I mean.
By the way, have you make jackfruit before? If yes, let me know what is your secret and also what side dish do you like it with. I personalty absolutely love oven baked sweet potato fries. They go super well with the BBQ flavor. Also, I made it on bagels instead of buns because they didn’t have multigrain buns in our supermarket. I liked it a lot, but you can use what ever pleases you.
Oh, and I didn’t make mayo from scratch, I am just using Vegenaise, which I love. However, any other vegan mayo is fine, or you can make one from Aquafaba if you like. I actulay have to try it myself. Usually I use cashews for dressings and mayo, but this is a great idea! What do you think? Anyway, thank you for vising and have a wonderful week.
- Pastry cutter
- 2 cans of jackfruit 540ml each
- 2 shallot onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup grape seed oil or oil of your choice
- Homemade BBQ sauce 1 cup you may add more if needed
- Rinse the canned jackfruit, mix in a bowl with 1 cup of BBQ sauce, cover with lid or plastic wrap and place into a refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat up about 2 tbsp of oil and sauté the onion for a second or two, add the garlic and mix well for few more seconds until translucent.
- Add the jackfruit and stir thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat, cover with lid, and let it simmer for 10min.
- When ready, take the lid off and stir again for 10 more minutes.
- You may add couple more tbsp of BBQ sauce and salt if you like and stir well.
- Take a fork or even better pastry cutter (that is what I used) and gently cut all the chunks until they become stringy.
- Adjust the taste, stir well and serve with your favorite toppings on bun or bagel like I did.
RELATED RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE