Summer Tomato Soup with Cannellini Beans, Oyster Mushrooms & Basil. Healthy, refreshing, and flavorful.
As I mentioned in my previous recipe, the SUMMER FETTUCCINE, basil is in season and so are tomatoes. This is also the time, when I always make one of my favorites, the Summer Tomato Soup. It is very different than traditional tomato soup and it’s one of my oldest recipes.
Although, sometimes I make it with asparagus and green Lima beans. Even you can make slight changes by adding different veggies or mushrooms. Nevertheless, I decided to use zucchini at this time, because they are in season as well. Many of you are probably growing tomatoes, zucchini, and basil in your gardens, which is absolutely ideal!
Also, this Summer Tomato Soup is very refreshing and can be eaten cold or lukewarm just like the CREAMY YELLOW BEAN that I posted a little while ago. It is also similar to Gazpacho except it’s cooked and not raw. Which is actually even healthier, based on Cornell University Research, as you can read in this article Cooking Tomatoes Boosts Disease-Fighting Power.
Of course, I still enjoy my raw tomatoes, especially freshly picked from my daughter’s little garden. We have only the small cherry ones, not suitable for soup, since this is our first year gardening. But because it turned out very successful, we are going to plant the bigger ones next year too. Probably zucchini as well.
Do you have your little garden? At least on the balcony or a window. If you do, I would love to hear about your experience. Thank you for visiting and have a wonderful week.
SUMMER TOMATO SOUP
- Food processor
- 3 lb tomatoes preferably Roma tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium organic
- 1 can of Cannellini beans
- 1 1 /2 cup of Oyster mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion medium size, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- ¼ cup olive oil or oil of your choice
- 1 stick lemon grass cut to 1/2″ length
- 1/4 cup fresh basil diced
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Himalayan Pink salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F, 200C°.
- Wash and cut tomatoes into quarters while removing the pith. You may peal the skin first if you prefer.
- Chop in the food processor while pressing the pulse button.
- Transfer to a pot with 2 cups of veggie broth, lemon gras and salt.
- Bring into a boil then reduce the heat and cover with lid. Simmer for 30minutes.
- Wash and slice zucchini with, spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with oil, sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, sauté onions with garlic and transfer into the pot with the rest of the soup.
- Sauté mushrooms with black pepper and pinch of salt and set aside.
- You may remove the lemon grass before you add all the rest of the ingredients, but I would leave a couple of pieces in.
- Add all the ingredients including basil and adjust the taste.
- Serve with vegan Parmesan.