Summer Fettuccine with Basil Pesto & Cherry Tomato is a satisfying meal for every pasta lover out there. Healthy and easy to make, perfect for lunch or dinner.
The season of basil is here and I was finally able to make delicious pesto first time this year. I have made pesto many times in the past but every time I make it I alternate the recipe a little. For example last year I made the pesto for ZOODLES WITH TEMPEH and QUINOA ZUCCHINI BOATS with avocado.
For this new Summer Fettuccine, I used pumpkin seeds, although pine nuts are used in traditional pesto recipes. However, they are very expensive, therefore I did an experiment. I know walnuts are fine too also, so you could try them if you like. Nevertheless, I really like how it turned out with the pumpkin seeds, besides, they are highly nutritious and cost-effective. And who wouldn’t like that!
Also, the authentic recipe is made with Parmesan, well, it is Italian, so that is no surprise, lol. Now, if you are wondering how can be pesto made vegan, well, the answer is very easy. The Nutritional Yeast will do the trick! Very cheesy and also healthy. I use it all the time, especially in dressings, cheese, sour cream, and cream cheese recipes. For example in the recipe for VEGGIE SMOKED SALMON.
How you made Pesto before? It’s funny though, that I never made it before I became vegan. And that applies to many other traditional meals I have on my blog. For some reason, I took a bigger interest in converting traditional cuisine to vegan, than just cooking it. I used to dine in restaurants quite often, enjoying Italian, Asian food & Mediterranean food. But I never thought of cooking it at home, although I was always a pretty good cook. I was just cooking mostly our Eastern European dishes and also some German.
If you have experience with veganizing your favorite dish, I would love the read about it. Thank you for visiting and have a wonderful summer.
- Food processor
- Brown rice fettuccine or pasta of your choice
- Cherry tomatoes on vine (or tomatoes of your choice_
- FOR THE PESTO
- 2 cups fresh basil thick stems remove
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Garlic powder to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Blend all the pesto ingredients in a food processor, starting with the pumpkin seeds and gradually adding the rest. It is okay if the texture will remain little bit chunky.
- Cook the pasta by following the instructions on the package.
- When ready, mix with the pesto, by blending in gradually, until all pasta is fully covered.
- Top with fresh or grilled cherry tomatoes and serve.