Summer Fettuccine with Basil Pesto & Cherry Tomato
The season of basil is here and I was finally able to make delicious pesto first time this year. I have made pesto many times in the past but every time I make it I alternate the recipe a little. For example last year I made the pesto for ZOODLES WITH TEMPEH and ZUCCHINI BOATS with avocado.
For this new Summer Fettuccine, I used pumpkin seeds, although pine nuts are used in traditional pesto recipe. However, they are very expensive, therefore I did an experiment. I know walnuts are fine too also, so you could try them if you like. Nevertheless, I really like how it turned out with the pumpkin seeds, besides, they are highly nutritious and cost effective. And who wouldn’t like that!
Also, the authentic recipe is made with Parmesan, well, it is Italian, so that is no surprise, lol. Now, if you are wondering how can be pesto made vegan, well, the answer is very easy. The Nutritional Yeast will do the trick! Very cheesy and also healthy. I use it all the time, especially in dressings, cheese, sour cream and cream cheese recipes. For example in recipe for VEGGIE SMOKED SALMON.
How you made Pesto before? It’s funny though, that I never made it before I became vegan. And that applies to many other traditional meals I have on my blog. For some reason I took bigger interest in converting tradition cuisine to vegan, than just cooking it. I used dined in restaurants quite often, enjoying Italian, Asian food & Mediterranean food. But I never thought of cooking it at home, although I was always pretty good cook. I was just cooking mostly our Eastern European dishes and also some German.
If you have an experience with vegenazing your favorite dish, I would love the read about it. Thank you for visiting and have a wonderful summer.
- Food processor
- Brown rice fettuccine or pasta of your choice
- Cherry tomatoes on vine (or tomatoes of your choice_
- FOR THE PESTO
- 2 cups fresh basil thick stems remove
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Garlic powder to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Blend all the pesto ingredients in a food processor, starting with the pumpkin seeds and gradually adding the rest. It is okay if the texture will remain little bit chunky.
- Cook the pasta by following the instructions on the package.
- When ready, mix with the pesto, by blending in gradually, until all pasta is fully covered.
- Top with fresh or grilled cherry tomatoes and serve.
You can use same brown rice Fettuccine as I do which is by RIZOPIA. Just make sure you stir the pasta few times during the cooking, to prevent from sticking together. Also, this pasta must be rinsed under cold water after is cooked, therefore you must heat it on a frying pan with little bit of oil, before you will add the pesto.
RELATED RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE