Lentil – Quinoa Burger with Grilled Onion
The season of outdoor and BBQ dining is in a full swift, at least here in North America, Canada just celebrated National Holiday on the 1st of July and our in U.S are celebrating Saturday, the July 4th. This is why I feel that this is a perfect time for a new veggie burger recipe.
Altough, I know there is so many veggie burgers on the market now days, which is great! Nevertheless, this yummy and super healthy Lentil – Quinoa Burger is for those of you who prefers to make them at home from scratch. You can also check my recipe from last year that I made many times before. It is the delicious BEET BURGER. They are both low in fat, high in protein and obviously, zero cholesterol!!!
Oh, and if you are wondering about the double burger on the photos, don’t worry, I didn’t eat it that way. But of course, feel free if you think you can do it, lol. I though it would be cool to do the photoshoot like that. What do you think? Not to forget, my favorite part is the grilled onion! Yum! And if you would like to know what is the sauce, I will led you on the secret.
I had leftover tomato sauce and cashew sauce from my HEALTHY SPELT PIZZA. I just added little bit of mustard into the cashew sauce, mixed well and drizzled on the burger. It was a mouthwatering bite and I hope you try! Thank you for visiting and I would love to hear your feedback.
LENTIL – QUINOA BURGER
- Food processor
- 1 cup of lentil preferably Spanish brown
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of quinoa flakes
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms diced
- 1 onion medium diced
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil for frying or oil of your choice
- 2 flax eggs 2tbsp flax seed meal mixed with 5 tbsp water
- Tamari ¼ cup
- Black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Large onion cut into rings for grilling
- Rinse your lentils thoroughly and cook in 2 cups of water on low heat, until all water evaporates. Cook under the lid and be careful not to burn.
- In the meantime, sauté mushrooms, onion and garlic with black pepper until golden brown.
- In a small dish, prepare your flax seed egg and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- When ready, transfer the cooked lentils into a bowl and mix with rest of the ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly and cover the bowl with plastic wrap or lid and place it into a refrigerator for at least one hour.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 400F°, 200C°.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and create about ½ cup size patties using.
- Arrange them with on your baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20min.
- In the meantime, you may grill your onion on each side on with pinch of pepper and pink salt.
- Serve with your favorite condiments and veggies.
- You can also try grilling your burgers on a grill whether charcoal or electric, although I have not tried that.
RELATED RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE