Wholesome Chana Masala is an Indian Cuisine Inspired flavorful dish. Great at anytime of year, it is easy to make, full of nutrients and highly satisfying.
Hello there, all of you Indian food lovers! Look what I have for you! Isn’t this something you could eat anytime? Because I sure could, lol. Oh yeas, Indian food especially CHANA MASALA, is one of my all time favorites. It doesn’t mater what season! Altough, I don’t make it often enough, because I have to make other recipes for my blog.
Also, if you have been following my recent recipes, you may know that I am using a often sundried tomatoes. Well, they are actually dehydrated and you can even make them at home. You can find out more details in my older recipe because I used them for BBQ sauce for Pulled Jackfruit. There is so much you can do with them and it saves lots time, when you are cooking. Oh and the flavor and texture is amazing! Beats the canned tomatoes for sure!
Another product I recently discovered in our supermarket is this delicious Chickpea roti flat bread and if you live in Toronto area, you can get it in Metro or Food Basics. But there is a chance that other stores have it too. Or, you can make it your own, which I am thinking to do as well. There is tons of recipes online, for example Besan Ki Roti – Gramflour-Chickpea Flatbread.
Now, I have a question! How spicy do you like your food? Because these little chilies are hot hot hot, lol. I dried them myself, but you can use cayenne pepper only or dry chili pepper flakes, or you can buy whole and dried already. But be careful, if you like only mild, like I do. I don’t mind little bit spicy, but not the way they do it in restaurants. Besides, I cook everything that I am planning to take to my daughter’s place non spicy at all, because it’s for my four years old grandsons. Us adults have to spice it up later, lol.
How are you dealing with it in your family? Probably same way if you have little kids. I would be happy to hear about it and if you have any questions or suggestions please don’t be shy. Thank you for vising and stay safe!
WHOLESOME CHANA MASALA
- Food processor
- 1 cup sundried oil free tomatoes (soaked 15min in 1 ½ cup water)
- 1 cup of water you may add mor if needed
- 1 medium size onion diced
- 6 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 tsp ginger fresh diced or powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala homemade or store bought
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Dry hot chili peppers to taste (broken into smaller pieces)
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- Fresh coriander 1 cup only the leaves
- 3 tbsp grape seed oil or oil of your choice
- 2 cans of chickpeas 540ml each, rinsed
- Sauté onion until translucent on a heated oi, add garlic and stir for couple seconds.
- Add rest of the spices except bay leaf.
- Reduce the heat and stir well for minute or two.
- Transfer everything into a blender, including the sundried tomatoes with water they were soaked in and additional cup of water.
- Blend all until smooth.
- Transfer to a pot, add the chickpeas, fresh coriander and bay leaf.
- Bring into a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- You may add more water if needed, but usually the sauce gets thicker overnight, so it is better wait.
- Adjust the taste and serve with long basmati rice or rice of your choice.
- Top with fresh coriander.