Grilled Sandwich with Pulled BBQ Jackfruit
This is my third jackfruit recipe and I absolutely love the versatility of this amazing fruit giant. However, I also discovered the difference in texture and flavor of the two products I have tried so far. It is something I feel you need to know, especially if you never made jackfruit meal before. Therefore, I am sharing my experience with you today!
For my first two recipes I used Upton’s Naturals and I really liked the texture and the cooking didn’t take very long. However, it was quite sweet and sour, even after rinsing it. It took more seasoning to covered it up than I was planning to use. On the other hand, for the BBQ JACKFRUIT SANDWICH I am using canned Jackfruit by Grace Company . I was happy with the fact that it’s practically tasteless, but there was slight problem with the texture.
All the chunks were mostly thick and I couldn’t cut off everything, because I would end up with very little. Also, it was full of seeds and even when I took lots of them out before cooking, there was more showing up during the cooking. Anyway, here are some brads on Amazon, but I suggest you check your supermarket, because you would be waiting a month for it from Amazon now days! I am going to keep looking as well and I keep you posted while I share new jackfruit recipes.
Nevertheless, even while facing little jackfruit challenge, the sandwich turned out absolutely scrumptious! Therefore, you must try it and make sure you grill the bread, because that is incredibly yummy! Oh and you must try my famous BBQ sauce!!! It would be best if you can get those oil free sundried tomatoes and you’ll see what I am talking about. Although, even if they are in oil, just rinse them first and they should be fine. Well, the absolute ideal would be making homemade from tomatoes grown in your garden right? You can find out here, how to do it How to Make Dehydrated Tomatoes
By the way, I am planning purchasing dehydrator and that way I can make my own. Even if I have to get tomatoes from the supermarket, because I don’t have garden. I’ve been thinking about that for a while, because I would like to experiment with some raw recipes also. Looks like I have to look for another item on Amazon, lol. So stay tuned!
Yeah, so many plans and ideas, but very little time. The best part is that my interests take my mind away from the unpleasant COVID 19 reality. I try to be positive and I hope you are too. Thank you for visiting and I love to hear you suggestions and questions. Wish you all the best and stay safe!
BBQ JACKFRUIT SANDWICH
- Grill or grilling pan, food processor.
- 2 cans of jackfruit 540ml each
- 2 shallot onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup grape seed oil or oil of your choice
- 8 slices of dour dough bread
- Lettuce & shredded red cabbage
- BBQ SAUCE
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes – oil free (soaked for in 1 1/2 cup of water for 15min)
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbsp organic molasses
- 1 tbsp low sodium Tamari
- 1 tsp smoke liquid
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Blend all, including the water from sundried tomatoes in a blender util smooth.
- Rinse the canned jackfruit, remove the seeds, trim the hard parts and cut into smaller pieces.
- Mix in a bowl with 1 cup of BBQ sauce, cover with lid or plastic wrap and place into a refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat up about 2 tbsp of oil and sauté the onion for a second or two, add the garlic and mix well for few more seconds until translucent.
- Add the jackfruit and stir thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat, cover with lid, and let it simmer for 10min.
- When ready, take the lid off and stir again for 1o more minutes.
- You may add couple more tbsp of BBQ sauce and salt if you like.
- When ready, brush your bread lightly on each side with oil and grill, on a grill, if you have one or a grilling pan like I did.
- Each side takes about 30 seconds.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on the bottom, then layer of jackfruit, little bit of BBQ sauce, cabbage and top with a second toast.
RELATED RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE