Finely sliced Kale with Red Cabbage mixed with Walnuts & Pomegranate. Not only delicious taste, but also powerful boost to your immune system that will keep you healthy all year round!
This is one of my oldest and very popular recipe among friends and family, but why the name Guru Salad? I hope you are not laughing, because I can assure you this salad is well deserving of that name. Also, we have Caesar and Greek salads, so why not Guru?!
I named it Guru Salad back in 2015 when I began my recipe blogging adventure. Although, I had a different blog back then and you may be able to find the old photos on Pinterest and Instagram. However, I disconnected the oldest recipe pages, because they are not up to my today standards. Nevertheless, my old blog is still active, even if I don’t pay for it anymore. If you are wondering how is that possible, well it is because my old hosting provider is www.wix.com and they let you build website for free. Although, if you are planning becoming a serious blogger creating an income, I do not recommend it.
Anyway, it was fine for me for the time being, because I had a lot to learn. Finally, now I am ready for the next step, therefor I created this new blog last month. I have created lots of recipes in the past and I will bring the best ones to you gradually for sure. I just need to take new photos with my new camera and lighting.
And now I should finally talk little bit about making the salad, right? I definitely would like to point out how important is to cut the kale as thin as possible and so the cabbage. That is one of the reasons why it is so popular over the years. We have lots of parties, because my son in law has a big family and this salad is a must on very party! Actually, my daughter makes it, because she is a Kale Salad pro now, lol. In fact, the biggest success is that my twin grandsons like it too. They will be four years old next month and they enjoying this salad for two years, all ready.
Well, the dressing has a lot to do with it as well and I am using it for other salads also. I have always some in the jar and stored in the cupboard. It doesn’t have to be refrigerated. And if you are wondering about the garlic, I would like suggest that the best for this dressing is the dehydrated one. Unfortunately, not easy to find in the supermarkets. I know Bulk Barn has it, if you live in Canada, or you can order it on Amazon.
The other product I would like to point give you more details about is the Cabbage Shredder, also available on Amazon, but I got my from Slovakia. My sister brought it for me when she was here in May last year, because it’s much cheaper there. Yet, my doesn’t have three blades like the one on Amazon, so I am guessing that one works better. But, it is quite pricey. I know there is lots of people out there who do not like kale, so I am curious how do you feel about this leafy green super food. I would love to read about your experience, or if you have any questions or suggestions.
- Sharp knife, Cabbage Shredder
- 1 large kale
- ¼ red cabbage
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup walnuts
- Himalayan pink slat to t0 taste
- ¼ Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice or good quality Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil or Olive oil
- ¼ cup Maple syrup
- 2 tsp minced dehydrated garlic or freeze dried or garlic powder
- Mix all in a bottle or jar with lid. Shake well before applying.
- Wash the kale leaves thoroughly and cut the middle stems as shown on the photo.
- Finely slice each leaf and place into a large bowl.
- If you have a whole cabbage, cut the bottom off, remove some of the top leaves and wash thoroughly.
- Cut into half and cut the one half I to half again, so you get the quarter of cabbage.
- You may slice it finely as possible with knife, or you can use slicer as shown on the photo.
- When ready, mix with the kale in the bowl.
- Slice an onion and mix with rest of the ingredients in the bowl.
- Shake the bottle with dressing and add as much as needed.
- Mix well and adjust the taste.
- Top with pomegranate and walnuts before serving.
RELATED RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE